Skip to main content.

Back to Web Site

Gateway to the Northland

Milaca Building and Zoning


The City of Milaca's Building and Zoning Department helps to ensure the safety of residents within the city limits of Milaca by enforcing the city's and the state's uniform building codes. Milaca's Building Inspector, Marshall Lind, is responsible for issuing building permits, collecting applicable fees and performing the required inspections.


All Milaca residents are strongly encouraged to use only licensed contractors when considering any remodeling or new addition projects to their home or existing structures.

Lind stresses the importance of using a licensed, bonded and insured contractor by reminding the local resident that they could be liable for any injuries received by non-licensed workers and that without the assurance of using a licensed, qualified contractor, the resident may well be liable for any damage incurred during the project with little or no recourse to the homeowner in case a dispute arises.  To verify that a contractor is licensed, you may access the Department of Labor & Industry website by clicking on the link provide below.

For remodeling projects to existing homes, Lind encourages homeowners to drop by with the plans for the project in order to ensure the project meets the codes and requirements currently in place. There is no fee for the review of plans with regard to a remodeling project. Lind encourages home owners who are considering a basement remodeling project to be aware that the installation of an escape (egress) window is very likely required with such a project. Front and side yard setbacks are enforced with regard to additions to existing structures.

Permit fees for new construction and other specific projects are based on the value of the project in accordance with the State of Minnesota Uniform Building Code currently in use by the city.

For more information residents may call the Building and Zoning Department at 983-3141.


The city's planning commission is responsible for ensuring development within the city meets the standards of the comprehensive plan and the zoning code.  The planning commission is scheduled to meet once per month, and the commission holds the public hearings for variances, conditional use permit

Applications for Building & Zoning

If you need a building permit application or an application regarding a zoning matter, click on the appropriate icon below.

Attached Document or File MN Dept. of Labor & Industry  Contractor License Lookup
Attached Document or FileBuilding Permit Application - City of Foreston  
Attached Document or FileBuilding Permit Application - City of Milaca  
Attached Document or FileBuilding Permit Application - City of Pease  
Attached Document or FileCity of Milaca Zoning Map  
Attached Document or FileConditional Use Permit Application  
Attached Document or FileFinal Subdivision Plat Application  
Attached Document or FileMinor Lot Split Application  
Attached Document or FilePreliminary Subdivision Plat Application  
Attached Document or FileRezoning Application  
Attached Document or FileVariance Application  

Building & Zoning Office

Your Home on the Rum River