Milaca Volunteer Fire Department
The Milaca Volunteer Fire Department was officially organized September 22, 1896 and named Milaca Fire Company No.1. Prior to this time some success in protecting the town of Milaca from grass fires in the surrounding area was realized by the construction of fire breaks around the city.
During the early to mid-1890s several fires in town caused devastating damage to various buildings and in November of 1893 an entire block was lost despite efforts which included purposely blowing up one of the buildings in the line of the fire as a means of creating a fire break.Members of Milaca's Pioneer Fire Department posed for this photo shortly after Milaca's most disastrous fire.The fire burned the Cohen Block on Main Street.
Today, The Milaca Volunteer Fire Department is comprised of 24 volunteers from Milaca and the surrounding towns of Bock, Foreston, and Pease. In addition to answering an average of 110 calls per year; the MVFD promotes fire safety by recognizing and promoting National Fire Safety Week, sponsoring presentations and a local fire safety poster contest in the Milaca Elementary School.
The Milaca Fire and Rescue building is located at 1005 Central Avenue North, Milaca.The department is equipped with two pumpers, two tankers, a rescue truck, and a specialized pickup for fighting grass fires.The department is also equiped with a snowmobile and sled used for winter rescue calls.